August 9, 2010

Finn-tastic fabrics

It comes as no surprise that I have returned home from Finland with a re-ignited passion for fabrics. One of my favourite Finnish habits is the changing of home decor to match the seasons. Helped by clearly defined and very different seasons, I really like the idea of having decor that changes along with the outside world. It is also a great excuse to change things around and really play with different colours and make the most of the incredible fabrics available. On one of my last days in Finland I found the Vallila range of curtains with prints designed by Tanja Orsjoki. New curtains has always been on our 'to do' list for home, but now I have become a little bit obsessed - if only I had measured up all our windows before I went away!
Today I thought I would celebrate some great seasonal Finnish decor.
Here are a few of the prints I love from the Vallila Spring Collection. These were available as ready made curtains, as well as bolts of fabric.
 

I couldn't do this post without a splash of colour and bold prints from Marimekko. These vibrant prints are part of the summer 2010 range. For a great example of the way the Finns swap around design and decor based ont he seasons, compare the summer range (here) to the more muted tones of autumn (here). It' perfectly understandable that you would prefer deep navy, green or ochre colours to frame a window overlooking the flaming colours of Autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails